|SAS/ACCESS Software for Relational Databases: Reference
Under Version 7 and later of SAS/ACCESS software,
the ACCESS and DBLOAD procedures continue to be supported for the DBMSs and
operating environments on which they were supported in Version 6. You can
still create SAS/ACCESS descriptor
files to access or load DBMS data. There are some changes and enhancements
to the ways in which these features work:
- The SAS Explorer window replaces the ACCESS window
and its functionality.
- The ACCESS procedure has been enhanced by the
UPDATE statement, which enables you to edit and update access descriptors
and view descriptors in SAS code.
- The DBLOAD procedure has been enhanced by the
APPEND statement, which enables you to append data to an existing DBMS table.
- Access descriptor, view descriptor, and SAS variable
names, when used in the ACCESS and DBLOAD procedures, are still limited to
- The interactive windowing interface for the ACCESS
procedure is not supported; you can no longer create and edit access descriptors
and view descriptors by using the Access Descriptor and View Descriptor definition
windows. The interactive windowing interface for the DBLOAD procedure is also
no longer supported.
Note: It is recommended that you use the new SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME
statement or the SQL Procedure Pass-Through Facility to access your DBMS data
more directly and to take full advantage of Version 7 and later enhancements.
See SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME Statement
for more information about the new LIBNAME statement.
|Overview of SAS/ACCESS Procedures|
Version 6 of SAS/ACCESS software provided
an interface between SAS software and database management systems (DBMSs)
that is still available and supported in Version 7. Each interface has one
or more of the following features, which perform these tasks:
- ACCESS procedure
- creates and updates
files that describe data in a DBMS table to SAS software
- creates a SAS data file from DBMS
- creates a new DBMS table and loads it with SAS
data or data that is accessed by a view descriptor, PROC SQL view, or DATA
- updates an existing DBMS table with SAS data or
data that is accessed by a view descriptor, PROC SQL view, or DATA step view
- submits non-query SQL statements to the
- enables you to use descriptor files to read DBMS
data directly into SAS programs
- enables you to specify descriptor files in SAS
programs to update, insert, or delete DBMS data
Note: See your DBMS chapter to determine
which features are supported for your DBMS.
Copyright 1999 by SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC, USA. All rights reserved.