Returns the compile-time (allocated) size of the specified variable
- specifies a variable, expressed as a scalar
or as an array reference.
||You cannot use an
expression as an argument.
- LENGTH examines the variable at run-time, trimming
trailing blanks to determine the length. VLENGTH returns a compile-time constant
value, which reflects the maximum length.
- VLENGTH returns the length of the specified variable.
VLENGTHX, however, evaluates the argument to determine the variable name.
The function then returns the compile-time size that is associated with that
- VLENGTH does not accept an expression as an argument.
VLENGTHX accepts expressions, but the value of the specified expression cannot
denote an array reference.
- Related functions return the value of other variable
attributes, such as the variable name, informat, and format, among others.
For a list, see the "Variable Information" functions in Functions and CALL Routines by Category
length x $8;
Copyright 1999 by SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC, USA. All rights reserved.