Exchanges the names of two SAS files in a SAS data
- exchanges the names of SAS files in the procedure input
library. Both name and other-name must already
exist in the procedure input library.
- provides the alter password for any alter-protected SAS
files whose names you want to exchange. You can use the ALTER= option in
parentheses after the name of each SAS file or after a forward slash.
- restricts processing to one member type (mtype).
You can only exchange the names of SAS files of the same type.
- When you exchange more than one pair of names in one EXCHANGE
statement, PROC DATASETS performs the exchanges in the order that the names
of the SAS files occur in the directory listing, not in the order that you
list the exchanges in the EXCHANGE statement.
- If the name SAS file does not exist in the SAS data
library, PROC DATASETS stops processing the RUN group that contains the EXCHANGE
statement and issues an error message. To override this behavior, specify
the NOWARN option in the PROC DATASETS statement.
- The EXCHANGE statement also exchanges the associated indexes so
that they correspond with the new name.
- The EXCHANGE statement only allows two existing generation groups
to exchange names. You cannot exchange a specific generation number with either
an existing base name or another generation number.
Copyright 1999 by SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC, USA. All rights reserved.